Many parents believe that learning a second language is beneficial for their kids. It can enhance kids’ intellectual development, and also can improve listening and creative thinking skills. Parents as kid’s first teachers play very important role in early education. Here are our apps that are great for young chilldren: reading apps. Many educational organizations encourage parents to help their kids to learn.
Below is an extract from the booklet commissioned by the British Council to support parents:
Young children are natural language acquirers; they are self motivated to pick up language without conscious learning, unlike adolescent and adults. They have the ability to invite pronunciation and work out the rules for themselves. (…)
The advantages of beginning early:
- Young children are still using their individual, innate, language-learning strategies to acquire their home language and soon find they can also use these strategies to pick up English.
- Young children have time to learn through play-like activities. (…)
- Young children have more time to fit English into their daily programme. (…)
- Children who have the opportunity to pick up a second language while they are still young appear to use the same innate language-learning strategies throughout life when learning other languages. (…)
- Young children who acquire languages rather than consciously learn it, as older children and adults have to, are more likely to have better pronunciation and feel for the language and culture. (…)”
Resource: British Council “Learn English Family” – “How children learn English as another language”. Written by Opal Dunn, Author and Educational Consultant from the UK – © British Council 2008
“If you would like to teach your little one new words, be sure to check out My Words!…”
See Kiddy Words Language & Vocabulary apps: Kiddy Words